Finding seasonal, short term and casual workers can be a real headache, particularly if you have little experience in hiring, or are under the pump trying to run your business on a day-to-day basis.
Many of our Workbout Australia Employers also find that, as remote or regional businesses, the ‘tyranny of distance’ can be big factor when looking for a helping hand. Not only do you run the risk of your ‘perfect’ applicant being potentially on the other side of the country, but it also makes the recruitment process much more complex.
How do you get the quality people applying in the first place, then make sure they are the right fit for your business and the position you have available?
Then there’s the logistics of the interview and recruitment process to take into account…how do you interview someone in another state when your technology or internet might not allow for all the ‘bells and whistles’?
These are our top tips to make the process easier for you:
- advertise well in advance
- the more details you include in your vacancy ad, the better
- include a photo of your business or region
- ask for references upfront in your ad
- don’t be afraid to hire multiple times throughout the season
- make sure you outline all the benefits you are prepared to offer to potential applicants
- make use of what technology you have available (eg, phone, video calling, email etc) to communicate clearly during the recruitment process
For more detail, you can download our Tips for Hiring Travelling Workers guide by clicking here!